On Monday, November 15, Upper School student-athletes competing on Nichols' boys' and girls' soccer, boys and girls cross country, field hockey, boys golf, girls tennis and sailing were recognized for their dedication, leadership and efforts in their respective sports. These honorees were recognized by their coaches for their outstanding performance and growth as athletes and as teammates.
The stellar fall 2021 season for the Vikings included four overall Monsignor Martin championships, dozens of regional and state accolades, and incredible performances throughout the season.
- Varsity field hockey finished with a tremendous 11-1-1 record, outscoring their opponents by a margin of 78-3 throughout their season, with five student-athletes earning All-Western New York honors.
- The varsity boys soccer and varsity boys golf team finished their seasons as Monsignor Martin High School Athletic Association (MMHSAA) league champions.
- Varsity girls soccer won 15 consecutive games en route to a fifth consecutive MMHSAA championship match appearance.
- Mirann Gacioch '22 and Alex Kompson '22 were named MMHSAA Players of the Year for girls soccer and boys soccer, respectively, with 14 varsity girls and boys soccer players earning All-Catholic honors overall.
- Gabriella Gallen-Kallela-Sirén '22 finished first at the All-Catholic girls cross country race and Austin Bares '22 finished second in the boys race, both earning All-Catholic honors and qualifying for the New York State Federation Race.
- Boys golfers John Boscarino '23, Sam Christiano '22, Rohan Iyer '22, and Matt Ritter '24 all qualified for state championships in the spring.
- Kathleen Horan '22 led varsity girls volleyball as a senior captain and was named Second Team All-Catholic.
- The varsity sailing team again finished in the top-two in Western New York to qualify for the Mid-Atlantic Championships.
- Elise Glahe '23 and Gretchen Gwitt '22 won an MMHSAA swimming championship on the combined Buffalo Seminary-Nichols School team, and Gwitt qualified for the state meet.
Director of Athletics Rob Stewart began the ceremony by congratulating the fall athletes, thanking the Nichols community for their ardent support of the Vikings athletic teams, and recognizing the fall coaches for their dedication to their programs. Varsity team captains recapped their seasons, and Stewart presented awards to the students who received Coaches Award, Most Improved Player, and Most Valuable Player designations from their coaches.
The students honored at Monday's ceremony are as follows:MOST IMPROVED PLAYERS
- Clare Mooney '22Boys Soccer
- Leif Anthony '22Volleyball
- Mary Margaret Martin '23Girls Tennis
- Erin Handforth '25Boys Cross Country
- Charlie Amdur '23Girls Cross Country
- Gabriella Radford '23, Lauren Geyer '23Sailing
- Rixi Lagutaine '24, Tiffany Jiang '24Girls Soccer
- Fallon Griffin '23
The most improved player award for boys golf is given in honor of Colin Wegner ’11. Wegner, who received this award in 2010, sadly passed away from cancer in 2013. The Colin M. Wegner Most Improved Golfer Award is given in his memory. Colin M. Wegner Most Improved Golfer Award
- William Rosen '23, Matthew Ritter '24, Joey Tuber '25COACHES AWARDS
- Tommy Enstice '22, Colton Christian '22Volleyball
- Alicia Green '22Girls Tennis
- Alexandra Fors '22Boys Cross Country
- Allen Potter '22Girls Cross Country
- Mia Anderson '24Boys Golf
- Sammy Christiano '22, Rohan Iyer '22Sailing
- Sal Deni '22, Megan Williams '22Girls Soccer
- Ella Fishkin '24, Grace Laski '22Field Hockey
- Gillian Evans '22, Emily Allen '22Field Hockey Sportsmanship Award
- Ellie Simmons '22MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS
- Lyla Allen '22Boys Soccer
- Alex Kompson '22Volleyball
- Kathleen Horan '22Boys Cross Country
- Austin Bares '22Girls Cross Country
- Gabriella Gallen-Kallela-Sirén '22Sailing
- Andrew Fors '22, Mason Howell '24Girls Soccer
- Mirann Gacioch '22, Linda Ullmark '24