July 6 - 29 from 10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
For all students 16 years of age by July 6, 2021 who have a valid NYS learner permit or license
Driver & Traffic Safety Education in New York State schools is a course implemented via a joint partnership between the New York State Education Department (NYSED), and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The Driver Education course is intended to educate students (age 16 or older) on appropriate driving skills and habits as well as playing a responsible role in the highway transportation/safety system. Course highlights include 24 hours of classroom instruction and 24 hours of behind the wheel training and observation. Students who satisfactorily complete the course are eligible to receive the MV-285 Student Certificate of Completion. The MV-285 Student Certificate of Completion allows:
1. A NYS Junior Permit holder to schedule a road test,
2. Young drivers a possible reduction in automobile insurance cost (participation is dependent upon insurance provider participation), and
3. A 17-year-old to receive a senior license (MV-285 form must be submitted to local DMV to attain this benefit). ***Due to the COVID-19 restrictions on in-car instruction, the state is temporarily allowing a parent or guardian to supervise and instruct the 24 hours of behind-the-wheel training. Driving School instructors are not permitted to instruct this part of the program at this time.
Nichols has partnered with Hoffman’s Driving Academy to provide the classroom instruction and prepare a parent syllabus to aid in the in-car instruction. All classroom sessions will be done in an online classroom
. Hoffman’s is also offering optional, private driving lesson packages if you feel that your son or daughter needs some extra instruction.
In order to receive credit for this program, students are required to attend ALL classroom sessions, satisfactorily complete all tests and quizzes and provide a signed attestation from a parent or guardian certifying that they have satisfactorily completed the in-car driving as outlined in the parent syllabus. Students that do not complete these requirements will not receive the M-285 certificate. Program Details
• Sixteen, 90-minute online classes from 10:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. on the following dates: July 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29
• 24 hours of parent supervised, behind-the-wheel training to be completed by July 29.
• Applicants must have a valid NYS learner permit or driver license by the time the program starts.
• Participants must be available to attend all classroom sessions and fulfill the 24 hours of parent supervised in-car training. Athletics, camps, vacations or other outside commitments are NOT acceptable excuses for missing class.
• The online classroom allows you to attend from anywhere you can get a stable internet connection.Optional
, one-on-one private driving lesson packages from Hoffman’s Driving Academy are available. All lessons are 45 minutes and will meet at Nichols School before the online classroom. Please note: These private lessons cannot be substituted for the parent-supervised driving instruction.Program Cost
• Standard Driver Education program - $425.00
• Optional – Four sessions (3 hours) of Private Driving Instruction Sessions – Add $210.00
• Optional – Eight sessions (6 hours) of Private Driving Instruction Sessions – Add $360.00
• Optional – Ten sessions (8 hours) of Private Driving Instruction Sessions – Add $440.00